Posts Tagged ‘Srebrenica’
5,000 Bosnian Muslims, including 2,000 children, died of starvation in six besieged enclaves, including Srebrenica and Zepa.
US PREPARATIONS FOR BOSNIA AIRDROP GAINING INTENSITY
Kentucky New Era, p.5A
25 February 1993.
By Laurinda Keys
Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) — First, 600,000 leaflets will flutter down on eastern Bosnia, telling residents about a coming American airdrop. Then, tons of food and medicine will fall from the sky.
Our hope is to watch for presents from heaven,” said Fadil Heljic, a ham radio operator in the besieged town of Zepa.
The Defense Department is not disclosing a starting date for its airdrop into eastern Bosnia, but it was expected to start this weekend. It is intended to help about 300,000 cold, hungry Muslims [Bosniaks] in six enclaves besieged by Serb fighters.
About 5,000 people in those areas, including 2,000 children, have died of hunger and cold this winter, according to unconfirmed reports by the Bosnian government. Read the rest of this entry »
West Stands Silent as Bosnian Serbs Wreak Havoc
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel p.10A
4 August 1995.
By George Will
Two years ago, when there were reports that a Bosnian Muslim in a Serbian concentration camp had been forced to bite off his father’s testicles, it was comforting to recall the European tradition of fabricated stories — German soldiers amputating the hands of Belgian nurses in 1914, and so on.
Today, with abundant evidence of rape used as a weapon of war, of Muslims’ eyes gouged out and ears and noses sliced off by Serbian “soldiers” (it is disgusting to give that honorable title to snipers killing Sarajevo children), with testimony about heads on stakes and a woman forced to drink blood from her son’s slit throat, it is reasonable to suspend disbelief concerning all reports about the cowardly mob called the Bosnian Serb “army,” which is a proxy for war criminals in Belgrade. Read the rest of this entry »
West Must Get in or Out
19 July 1995.
By Anthony Lewis
Two days after the fall of Srebrenica, Gen. Philippe Morillon, French General Staff member, said: “We have to declare war on Gen. Mladic or get out.”
Ratko Mladic is the commander of Bosnian Serb forces, the architect of the assault on Srebrenica and ethnic cleansing that followed [note: this report war published 8 days after the fall of Srebrenica, while the evidence of the large scale massacre surfaced later]
Morillon’s words pitfily summed up one lesson on Bosnia for the Western alliance: To intervene in a conflict and pretend there is no difference between the aggressors and the victims is not only dishonorable but ineffectual.
Read the rest of this entry »
Echoes of Third Reich in Ethnic Cleansing
The Milwaukee Journal
17 July 1995.
Missing from the heart-rending photographs of terrified refugees were the dusty railroad cattle cars and the sullen storm troopers watching with expressionless faces. Nevertheless, some of the roads and villages of [predominantly Bosnian Muslim-inhabited] eastern Bosnia last week looked too much like eastern Europe when it was the Nazis conducting a campaign of ethnic cleansing. Read the rest of this entry »
“As for the Bosnian Serb leader, Radovan Karadzic, ‘he will lie, keep lying as he has done all the time, and he will kill more of us in the coming days” – Nedjara Beganovic.
Serb blockade claims lives of more children
The Victoria Advocate, p.4C
13 January 1993.
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina — Fifty-one children died of starvation and cold overnight in an eastern Bosnian town [Zepa] blockaded by Serbs and isolated for nine months, according to ham radio reports Wednesday. In addition, 34 adults perished Tuesday night in Zepa, 35 miles east of Sarajevo.
In Srebrenica, a town near the Serbia border, 17 people – including nine children – died during the night, according to the reports.
Amateur radio operators have been the only link to the outside for the 28,000 people of Zepa since April. Serb gunmen and mines prevent U.N. convoys from crossing snowy roads to the town, where some people are living in caves. Read the rest of this entry »
A 11 July 1995 file photo shows an elderly Bosniak (Bosnian Muslim) woman and her husband getting treatment for injuries inflicted on them by Serb military forces as they fled Srebrenica as it was overrun by Bosnian Serb forces. The man on the right died shortly after the picture was taken. During the Srebrenica genocide, Serb forces rounded up and killed more than 8,000 Bosniak men and boys, and expelled 25,000 women after abusing many of them. General Ratko Mladic ordered his troops to rape Muslim women and girls. Source: (Getty Images)