Posts Tagged ‘HVO’
Bosnian Croat authorities and forces, established, supported and operated a system of ill-treatment, involving a network of prisons, concentration camps and other detention facilities (including, without limitation, the Heliodrom Camp, Ljubuski Prison, Dretelj Prison, Gabela Prison and Vojno Camp) to arrest, detain and imprison thousands of Bosniaks (Bosnian Muslims), including women, children and elderly. Many of the imprisoned and detained Bosniaks were kept in horrible conditions and deprived of basic human necessities, such as adequate food, water and medical care. Many suffered inhumane treatment and physical and psychological abuse, including beatings and sexual assaults. Read the rest of this entry »
Mostar was surrounded by the Croat forces for nine months, and much of its historic city was severely damaged in shelling including the famous Stari Most bridge.
Mostar was divided into a Western part, which was dominated by the Croat forces and an Eastern part where the Army of Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina was largely concentrated. However, the Bosnian Army had its headquarters in West Mostar in the basement of a building complex referred to as Vranica. In the early hours of May 9, 1993, the Croatian Defence Council (HVO) attacked Mostar using artillery, mortars, heavy weapons and small arms. The HVO controlled all roads leading into Mostar and international organisations were denied access. Radio Mostar announced that all Bosniaks should hang out a white flag from their windows. Read the rest of this entry »
“Let’s Kill All the Muslims”
7 June 1993.
On a recent night, soldiers from the Croatian Defense Council (HVO) forced Zurjeta Tarevljak, her three children and a dozen of their Bosniak (Bosnian Muslim) neighbors from their apartments in Mostar, a town in southern Bosnia. “Let’s kill all the Muslims,” the soldiers began yelling as the people huddled in a sandlot. “The children were screaming, ‘Don’t shoot us, please don’t kill us’,” Mrs. Tarevljak says. An HVO officer stopped his men from carrying out the threat, but the Bosniaks’ relief was short-lived. Instead, the soldiers herded the families into the street, where Bosniak forces were counterattacking-and made the civilians serve as a human shield. “Go out there so your own people can shoot you,” said one HVO soldier. Read the rest of this entry »
In the early morning of April 16, 1993 at about 5:45 to 6:00 a.m. Bosniak areas of Vitez and Krušćica were attacked by Croat artillery, which increased during the morning and included mortar fire of various calibre.
It was the first coordinated offensive in the area with attacks happening simultaneously up and down the valley.
According to professional military opinion of a British colonel, the Army of Bosnia and Herzegovina (ARBiH) had been taken by surprise. Croatian Defence Council (HVO) soldiers in camouflage uniforms entered the streets of Vitez, arresting Bosniaks and killing them in their apartments. Read the rest of this entry »
On 19 April 1993, Croat forces attacked Zenica. The attack resulted in 65 casualties; 15 Bosniak civilians were killed, while another 50 were seriously injured, many of them paralyzed and blinded from shrapnels. The shells landed in three groups of two, at 12:10 p.m., 12:24 p.m. and 12:29 p.m.
Croats blamed the Serbs for the massacre, but Hague Tribunal discarded such claims during Dario Kordic trial.
The International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) established that the market place in Zenica was shelled by the Croatian Council of Defence (HVO) on April 19, 1993 from the village of Putičevo, 15 kilometres from Zenica, resulting in a massacre. Read the rest of this entry »
The Ahmici massacre was the culmination of the Lašva Valley ethnic cleansing. It is the single largest massacre committed by the Croats against Bosniaks in the Bosnian war.
The attack began at 05:30 hours on April 16, 1993. The Croat Defence Council (HVO) shelled the Bosniak part of Ahmići and moved in killing many Bosniaks, including women, children and the elderly.
They destroyed a large number of Bosniak homes, and caused extensive damage to the village’s two mosques. An estimate puts the death toll to at least 120. Read the rest of this entry »
The Stupni Do massacre was one of the most brutal massacres committed by Croatian forces on Bosniak civilians during the Croat-Bosniak war in the village of Stupni Do in Vareš municipality. It was committed on October 23, 1993 by Croatian Defense Council (HVO) units called “Apostoli” and “Maturice” led by Ivica Rajić who pleaded guilty before ICTY for war crimes on October 2005. The Croat forces took control of the village and massacred most of the captured people. They raped the women before killing them and looted all houses before setting them on fire. The confirmed number of victims is at least 80.
Bosniaks Accuse Croats of Massacring 80 Villagers
Published: October 26, 1993
DRABAVINE, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Oct. 25— Masked Croat soldiers killed 80 Bosniaks [Bosnian Muslims] in a village in central Bosnia over the weekend, but the toll may be far higher because most residents are still unaccounted for, survivors said today. Read the rest of this entry »