Genocide in Bosnia

Bosnian Genocide, 1992-1995

Posts Tagged ‘Haris Silajdzic

First Sarajevo Breadline Massacre, Serbs kill 20, injure 100

“We had to end these negotiations because of these monstrous acts on the part of these [Serb] terrorists.” – Haris Silajdzic,  Bosnia’s foreign minister.

Lodi News-Sentinel
28 May 1992.

BELGRADE, Yugoslavia — The European Community imposed trade sanctions on Serbia on Wednesday to stop its interference in Bosnia, which pleaded for foreign intervention after a gruesome mortar attack on an outdoor market.

At least 20 people were killed and more than 100 wounded when three mortar shells fell Wednesday morning on a market where they were standing in line for bread, said Ejup Ganic, Bosnia’s deputy premier.

The market on Sime Miskin Street was strewn with scores of bleeding people, with corpses and weeping men and women with torn-off limbs.

Sarajevo TV showed an elderly man, still clutching his bread, leaning helplessly against the wall with blood pouring from his face. A women sitting in streams of blood reached out feebly for help. Read the rest of this entry »

Mass Grave in Bosnia Holds 540 Bodies of Muslims and Catholics

By: Maud S. Beelman
24 September 1995.

SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) – A mass grave filled with 540 bodies was unearthed in northwestern Bosnia after government forces recaptured the area from rebel Serbs, Bosnia’s prime minister said Saturday.

It was unclear whose bodies were in the grave, but they were believed to be Muslims [Bosniaks] and Croats killed by Bosnian Serbs, said Prime Minister Haris Silajdzic.

The discovery coincided with word of the latest ethnic expulsion by Bosnian Serbs: the driving of almost 500 Muslims [Bosniaks] from another Serb-held town under government attack. Read the rest of this entry »

Written by genocideinbosnia

January 4, 2011 at 3:28 am

Serbs Kill Bosnian Foreign Minister, Take UN Peacekeepers as Hostages

Gettysburg Times
29 May 1995.

By George Jahn

SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina — Bosnia’s foreign minister and three colleagues were killed Sunday when rebel Serbs shot down their helicopter near the Bosnian-Croatian border. Serbs, defying escalating global condemnation, also seized more U.N. peacekeepers.

Croatian Serb forces claimed responsibility for downing the chopper, the Croatian Serb news agency ISKRA reported. The helicopter had traveled 10 miles from the besieged Bosnian government-held enclave of Bihac when it crashed just across the Croatian border.

Bosnian Serbs, confident U.N. hostages would shield them from a repeat of last week’s NATO air raids on ammunition dumps, seized 33 more peacekeepers, all British, near Gorazde in eastern Bosnia. Five of the captured peacekeepers were later injured in a car accident, Bosnian Serb TV said.

By nightfall, the Serbs held 317 U.N. personnel, the U.N. said, including more than 200 peacekeepers, most of them French, surrounded near Sarajevo and 30 U.N. monitors, some of whom were chained to potential NATO targets.

As the Serbs upped the stakes, frustrated U.N. officials demanded their masters in the world’s capitals tell them what to do: stand tough or back away in the most humiliating retreat of the United Nations’ 50-year history. Read the rest of this entry »