Genocide in Bosnia

Bosnian Genocide, 1992-1995

Posts Tagged ‘Gorazde

United States Air Force to Help Bosnian Muslims

leave a comment »

5,000 Bosnian Muslims, including 2,000 children, died of starvation in six besieged enclaves, including Srebrenica and Zepa.

US PREPARATIONS FOR BOSNIA AIRDROP GAINING INTENSITY

Kentucky New Era, p.5A
25 February 1993.
By Laurinda Keys

Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) — First, 600,000 leaflets will flutter down on eastern Bosnia, telling residents about a coming American airdrop. Then, tons of food and medicine will fall from the sky.

Our hope is to watch for presents from heaven,” said Fadil Heljic, a ham radio operator in the besieged town of Zepa.

The Defense Department is not disclosing a starting date for its airdrop into eastern Bosnia, but it was expected to start this weekend. It is intended to help about 300,000 cold, hungry Muslims [Bosniaks] in six enclaves besieged by Serb fighters.

About 5,000 people in those areas, including 2,000 children, have died of hunger and cold this winter, according to unconfirmed reports by the Bosnian government. Read the rest of this entry »

Advertisements

Report: Serbs Raped, Deliberately Killed 700 Bosniaks During Attack on Gorazde

New Straits Times
12 June 1994.

GENEVA, Sat. — A United Nations investigator yesterday accused Serbs of launching a campaign of rape and murder when they attacked the Bosniak-held enclave of Gorazde and surrounding villages earlier this year. Read the rest of this entry »

Written by genocideinbosnia

January 29, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Second Sarajevo breadline massacre, Serb attack kills 15, injured 30

By John Pomfret
The Daily Gazette
31 August 1992, p.A1,A3

SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina — A howitzer shell crashed into a crowded marketplace Sunday, killing at least 15 people and wounding dozens in one of the bloodiest single attacks during the Serbs’ siege of Sarajevo.

Meanwhile, fierce fighting around Gorazde forced U.N. officials to delay plans to dispatch an aid convoy.

Serbs announced Saturday they were lifting their five-month siege of the city southeast of Sarajevo.

“It appears to be extremely dangerous,” said Fred Eckhard, chief spokesman for U.N. operations in former Yugoslavia. He said the convoy might leave on Wednesday.

Gorazde, as the lone government holdout against Serb insurgents in eastern Bosnia-Herzegovina, has been an emotional symbol of the war that began when the majority Bosniaks and Croat voted for independence from Yugoslavia on Feb. 29. As many as 100,000 people have been trapped there. Read the rest of this entry »

15 Children A Day Are Dying in the Besieged Gorazde, eastern Bosnia

Serbs Begin Major Assault

The Times-News
12 July 1992.
By John Burns

SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovima — Four days after the leaders of seven major industrial democracies demanded an end to Serbian military offensives in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Serbian nationalist forces on Saturday began a major assault on the last big Muslim-controlled town in eastern Bosnia.

The attack by the Serbs on Gorazde, about 70 miles east of Sarajevo, threw the Bosnian government into further desperation.

President Alija Izetbegovic, returning here on Saturday afternoon aboard a Western relief flight from a meeting on Thursday with President Bush in Helsinki, was greeted by angry demands from Bosniak fighters that he release scarce stocks on ammunition for an attempt to break through to Gorazde.

With the capture of Gorazde, where 50,000 people are under siege, Serbian forces would be freed to concentrate attacks here on Sarajevo, the capital. Bosnian government force in Sarajevo are being weakened daily by diminishing supplies of ammunition in their attempt to withstand shelling and the Serbian siege. Read the rest of this entry »

Primitive Serb Peasants Blamed for the Destruction of Bosnia

First the Bricks, then the Soul

New Sunday Times
18 October 1992.

By Rohas
(A Bosnian refugee)

ZAGREB: The Serbian academic dissident Bogdan Bogdanovic said:

“Serbian fascism is especially dangerous because it originates in the rural areas, and feels no responsibility for the architecture of towns.”

Their criminal attack on urban areas has been especially directed towards Bosnia-Herzegovinian towns, mainly the Muslim ones of Foca, Visegrad, Zvornik, Sarajevo, Srebrenica, Brcko, and the old towns of Prusac.

Bosniak and Croatian architectures of value in Mostar have been especially attacked and religious buildings — mosques, abbeys, Catholic churches, graveyards, and other sacred places, have become particular targets. Read the rest of this entry »

Serbs Kill Bosnian Foreign Minister, Take UN Peacekeepers as Hostages

Gettysburg Times
29 May 1995.

By George Jahn

SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina — Bosnia’s foreign minister and three colleagues were killed Sunday when rebel Serbs shot down their helicopter near the Bosnian-Croatian border. Serbs, defying escalating global condemnation, also seized more U.N. peacekeepers.

Croatian Serb forces claimed responsibility for downing the chopper, the Croatian Serb news agency ISKRA reported. The helicopter had traveled 10 miles from the besieged Bosnian government-held enclave of Bihac when it crashed just across the Croatian border.

Bosnian Serbs, confident U.N. hostages would shield them from a repeat of last week’s NATO air raids on ammunition dumps, seized 33 more peacekeepers, all British, near Gorazde in eastern Bosnia. Five of the captured peacekeepers were later injured in a car accident, Bosnian Serb TV said.

By nightfall, the Serbs held 317 U.N. personnel, the U.N. said, including more than 200 peacekeepers, most of them French, surrounded near Sarajevo and 30 U.N. monitors, some of whom were chained to potential NATO targets.

As the Serbs upped the stakes, frustrated U.N. officials demanded their masters in the world’s capitals tell them what to do: stand tough or back away in the most humiliating retreat of the United Nations’ 50-year history. Read the rest of this entry »

Bosnian Genocide: Gorazde Massacre Death Toll 389 Dead and 1,324 Wounded

The Argus-Press
21 April 1994.

SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina — Bosnian Serbs raked Gorazde with artillery shells, rockets and heavy machine guns, blasting the hospital from close range as doctors begged for help.

“Please do something that we stay alive. We cannot stand this anymore,” said Dr. Aldijana Rebic, sobbing over ham radio.

Ten people were killed when Serb shells hit the hospital Wednesday.

The hospital’s director said Serb tanks were firing from only 100 yards away at the building which had its roof blown off Tuesday. “This is not war anymore. This is slaughter, massacre,” Dr. Alija Begic said.

The Serbs have openly defied the United Nations over Gorazde, promising truces while advancing into the enclave and shelling the Muslim-held town of 65,000.

At least 44 people, including 15 children, were killed Wednesday Read the rest of this entry »

Written by genocideinbosnia

January 2, 2011 at 9:54 pm