Posts Tagged ‘eastern Bosnia’
Echoes of Third Reich in Ethnic Cleansing
The Milwaukee Journal
17 July 1995.
Missing from the heart-rending photographs of terrified refugees were the dusty railroad cattle cars and the sullen storm troopers watching with expressionless faces. Nevertheless, some of the roads and villages of [predominantly Bosnian Muslim-inhabited] eastern Bosnia last week looked too much like eastern Europe when it was the Nazis conducting a campaign of ethnic cleansing. Read the rest of this entry »
“As for the Bosnian Serb leader, Radovan Karadzic, ‘he will lie, keep lying as he has done all the time, and he will kill more of us in the coming days” – Nedjara Beganovic.
Serb blockade claims lives of more children
The Victoria Advocate, p.4C
13 January 1993.
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina — Fifty-one children died of starvation and cold overnight in an eastern Bosnian town [Zepa] blockaded by Serbs and isolated for nine months, according to ham radio reports Wednesday. In addition, 34 adults perished Tuesday night in Zepa, 35 miles east of Sarajevo.
In Srebrenica, a town near the Serbia border, 17 people – including nine children – died during the night, according to the reports.
Amateur radio operators have been the only link to the outside for the 28,000 people of Zepa since April. Serb gunmen and mines prevent U.N. convoys from crossing snowy roads to the town, where some people are living in caves. Read the rest of this entry »
New Straits Times
12 June 1994.
GENEVA, Sat. — A United Nations investigator yesterday accused Serbs of launching a campaign of rape and murder when they attacked the Bosniak-held enclave of Gorazde and surrounding villages earlier this year. Read the rest of this entry »
Lawrence Journal-World, P.9A
19 July 1995.
Survivors who fled the Bosnian Serb army that bore down on Srebrenica have horror stories to tell and memories that won’t fade soon.
TUZLA, Bosnia-Herzegovina — Bahrem Ektic, 16 and frail, saw dozens of Muslim [Bosniak] men lying dead or dying as he made a seven-day trek to safety from conquered Srebrenica. The memory of one victim will remain with him.
“One had nose and ears cut off, and only two fingers left on each hand. When we passed by, he whimpered. He begged us to kill him. But we could not shoot him, for fear Serbs will hear us. And nobody mustered strength to put him out of his misery with a knife.” Read the rest of this entry »
13 March 1993.
TUZLA, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) — The first emaciated wounded and sick arrived Friday from besieged Srebrenica, leaving behind near-starvation and desperate hardship, including amputation without anesthetic.
Doctors at Tuzla’s main hospital said 12 of the worst cases were flown in by Bosnian military helicopter from the Muslim-held enclave in eastern Bosnia.
A similar airlift two days ago evacuated eight wounded soldiers from the eastern Bosnian front, but Friday’s arrivals were the first from Srebrenica proper, a focus of U.N. relief attempts.
“All the time I was thinking of getting away to somewhere where I could heal,” said Sead Klempic, his bones throwing sharp contours into the blanket covering his wasted body. He was left paraplegic by shrapnel to the spine.
“It kept me alive,” he said. Read the rest of this entry »
From 1992 to 1995, Naser Oric defended the besieged enclave of Srebrenica from Serb forces stationed in heavily militarized Serb villages around the town. Serbs attacked Srebrenica on a daily basis from nearby Serb village. After the war, Serbs blamed Naser Oric of committing “massacres” against notorious Serbian terrorists around the enclave. The International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) acquitted Naser Oric of all charges and ruled that Serb tales of “massacres” were “influenced by Serb propaganda.”