Genocide in Bosnia

Bosnian Genocide, 1992-1995

Posts Tagged ‘Cerska massacre

Bosnian Refugee Describes Horrible Year Running From Death

The Southeast Missourian, p.3A
22 March 1993.
[two years before the 1995 Srebrenica Genocide]

TUZLA, Bosnia-Herzegovina – As others fought to get on the U.N. trucks leaving besieged Srebrenica, Sabira Bosancic wa screaming to stay. But foreign relief workers didn’t understand her words: “Don’t tear me away from my family!”

Many fellow refugees from the town on Sunday savored their first day in nearly a year in which they did not have to fear dying of starvation or Serb shelling. But Mrs. Bosancic, among the 673 hustled by U.N. personnel into trucks and driven to Tuzla Saturday, wept while thinking of the two children she had been forced to leave behind. Read the rest of this entry »

Written by genocideinbosnia

January 25, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Bosnian Genocide Survivor, "I remember my mother's eyes"

To learn more about the 1993 Cerska massacre, browse available documentation on our web site.

Srebrenica Orphans Recall Horror

Lodi News-Sentinel,
p. front, A88 July 1996.

Ferida Osmanovic hanged herself a year ago. She just walked off alone into a quiet wood, leaving behind her two children to fend for themselves.

Her despair was too much to bear. She endured the long siege of Srebrenica. Then came the terrifying end when Bosnian Serbs overran the Muslim enclave. The final horror was seeing the Serbs drag her husband away.

One July later, Osmanovic’s grave in a paupers cemetery is marked by a simple slab of wood inscribed: “No name: Srebrenica.”

Her children know where she is buried and have drawn the hard lessons of war, death and despair. Read the rest of this entry »

Rare photo of a Hero, Srebrenica's Naser Oric in 1993

From 1992 to 1995, Naser Oric defended the besieged enclave of Srebrenica from Serb forces stationed in heavily militarized Serb villages around the town. Serbs attacked Srebrenica on a daily basis from nearby Serb village. After the war, Serbs blamed Naser Oric of committing “massacres” against notorious Serbian terrorists around the enclave. The International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia (ICTY) acquitted Naser Oric of all charges and ruled that Serb tales of “massacres” were “influenced by Serb propaganda.”

Written by genocideinbosnia

January 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Cerska massacre, Serbs Cut Throats to Bosnian Muslim Victims

Serb Forces Massacre Bosniak Civilians

By Chuck Sudetic
4 March 1993

TUZLA, Bosnia-Herzegovina — After overrunning much of a Muslim enclave in eastern Bosnia, Serbian forces rained artillery shells today on thousands of Bosniaks Muslims trapped in the snow-covered region, United Nations officials here said.

The reports led the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Sadako Ogata, to send a message to the United Nations saying that, even based on the most conservative reports, the Bosnian Serbs were committing a massacre. She said most of the Muslim victims were found with their throats cut. Read the rest of this entry »

Written by genocideinbosnia

January 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm

250 Muslims Killed in the Cerska Massacre (1993) near Srebrenica

U.N. Commander Treks to Ravaged Bosnian Enclave

A Bosnian Muslim woman who lost her relatives looks at human remains found in a mass grave in the village of Cerska. In March of 1993, more than two years before the 1995 Srebrenica genocide, Serbs overrun the Muslim village and slaughtered up to 250 Bosniak women, children and the elderly men.

A Bosnian Muslim woman who lost her relatives looks at human remains found in a mass grave in the village of Cerska. In March of 1993, more than two years before the 1995 Srebrenica genocide, Serbs overrun the Muslim village and slaughtered up to 250 Bosniak women, children and the elderly men.

Times Daily
6 March 1993.
By George Jahn

TUZLA, Bosnia-Herzegovina — The commander of U.N. troops in Bosnia boldly headed for a besieged government enclave on Friday, hopping to evacuate thousands of desperate Muslim [Bosniak] refugees driven from their homes.

Gen. Philippe Morillon’s trek into the heart of the worst fighting in eastern Bosnia signaled growing international concern over the failure of peace talks and U.S. airdrops to halt the carnage.

Bosnian Muslim man Smajil Hukic, 80, who lost his relatives looks on in front of mass grave in attempt to identify his relatives in a mass grave in the village of Cerska near Srebrenica (formerly in nearby municipality of Vlasenica, now in the Serb municipality of Milici)

Bosnian Muslim man Smajil Hukic, 80, who lost his relatives looks on in front of mass grave in attempt to identify his relatives in a mass grave in the village of Cerska near Srebrenica (formerly in nearby municipality of Vlasenica, now in the Serb municipality of Milici)

President Clinton, referring to the practice of “ethnic cleansing,” said the latest Serb offensive showed that they were succeeding in their campaign to drive Bosnian Muslims from the region. He pledged to tighten sanctions against the Serbs with a further crackdown that a spokesman said would “inflict real pain” on the aggressors.
Read the rest of this entry »

Written by genocideinbosnia

December 27, 2010 at 2:21 am

Bosnian Muslim Survivor of the Cerska Massacre (1993) Hid Under Corpses

Survivor Tells of Massacre in Eastern Bosnia

Lodi News-Sentinel
6 March 1993.

Bosnian Muslim man Smajil Hukic, 80, who lost his relatives looks on in front of mass grave in attempt to identify his relatives in a mass grave in the village of Cerska near Srebrenica (formerly in nearby municipality of Vlasenica, now in the Serb municipality of Milici)

Bosnian Muslim man Smajil Hukic, 80, who lost his relatives looks on in front of mass grave in attempt to identify his relatives in a mass grave in the village of Cerska near Srebrenica (formerly in nearby municipality of Vlasenica, now in the Serb municipality of Milici)

ZAGREB, Croatia — A Bosniak [Bosnian Muslim] refugee in eastern Bosnia told a ham radio operator Friday that he survived a Serb massacre because corpses fell on him and protected him from gunfire.

This and other accounts of a massacre Wednesday of scores of people near the embattled Cerska region could not be confirmed. Ham radio and U.N. officials have cited many reports of Serb atrocities during an offensive that began Sunday, but reporters are unable to enter the Serb-besieged area to investigate.

According to the various accounts, Serb gunmen unleashed a barrage of gunfire and grenades on a group of about 100 refugees near Mount Rogasija. Read the rest of this entry »

Written by genocideinbosnia

December 27, 2010 at 1:17 am

Cerska Massacre, Serbs Butcher Bosniak Civilians with Knives

Cerska massacre, “They carried out a massacre in the school,” said Mr. Muminovic. “They killed people with knives. Some of the dead and living were butchered.”

Cerska Massacre - remains of Bosniak civilians killed by Serbs in the Cerska massacre near Srebrenica in 1993

Remains of Bosniak civilians killed by Serbs in the Cerska massacre near Srebrenica in 1993

Bosnian Soldiers Report Massacre by Serbs in a Schoolhouse

By Chuck Sudetic,

Published: March 19, 1993

TUZLA, Bosnia and Herzegovina, March 18— The first Bosnian Government soldiers to arrive here from an eastern enclave overrun by Serbian nationalist fighters gave accounts today of the killings of dozens of Bosniak civilians by the advancing Serbs.

Two of the Bosnian soldiers said they witnessed killings in Cerska [near Srebrenica] and the neighboring village of Velici, which were overrun between Feb. 27 and March 1, when poorly-armed, predominantly Muslim locals lost the area to attacking Serbs. Read the rest of this entry »