Croats kill at least 80 Bosniaks in the Stupni Do massacre, Bosnian Genocide
The Stupni Do massacre was one of the most brutal massacres committed by Croatian forces on Bosniak civilians during the Croat-Bosniak war in the village of Stupni Do in Vareš municipality. It was committed on October 23, 1993 by Croatian Defense Council (HVO) units called “Apostoli” and “Maturice” led by Ivica Rajić who pleaded guilty before ICTY for war crimes on October 2005. The Croat forces took control of the village and massacred most of the captured people. They raped the women before killing them and looted all houses before setting them on fire. The confirmed number of victims is at least 80.
Bosniaks Accuse Croats of Massacring 80 Villagers
Published: October 26, 1993
DRABAVINE, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Oct. 25— Masked Croat soldiers killed 80 Bosniaks [Bosnian Muslims] in a village in central Bosnia over the weekend, but the toll may be far higher because most residents are still unaccounted for, survivors said today.
Bosnian Croat forces denied the killings, but they planted mines and brandished antitank weapons to prevent United Nations peacekeepers from entering the village, Stupni Do.
In the same region, a Danish truck driver died and nine United Nations workers were wounded today when relief convoys were caught in a crossfire between Croats and Bosniaks, United Nations officials said.
Peacekeepers also expressed concern over several hundred Bosniaks believed to be held in a school in Vares, a Croat stronghold in central Bosnia.
Bill Aikman, a United Nations spokesman in Sarajevo, also reported fighting between Muslims in the Bihac pocket of northwest Bosnia where a local businessman, Fikret Abdic, leads a Bosniak group that has declared independence from the Sarajevo Government.
Mr. Abdic declared Bihac autonomous last month and has since signed cooperation pacts with the nationalist Serbs and Croats who are fighting the mostly Bosniak Government in the civil war.
As fighting seemed to rumble throughout Bosnia, Croatian radio reports said Croat forces had taken Malo Polje, just outside the southwestern town of Mostar, pushing back Bosniak defense lines.
In Stupni Do, the Muslim village, survivors said the attackers threw the corpses of children, women and elderly civilians into burning buildings.
“Everything was on fire and we saw Ustase” — a derogatory term for Croat soldiers — “throwing bodies into the flames,” said Zinata Likic, 28, who hid with her young daughters in a forest for two days waiting for United Nations forces to rescue her.
She was one of 15 survivors picked up by United Nations forces along a highway about three miles south of Vares. They were taken to Drabavine, a Muslim village to the south, where they spoke to reporters.
United Nations sources and survivors said Croat troops attacked Stupni Do just after dawn on Saturday.
The Bosniak population of about 260 had only 39 armed defenders. By most accounts they were no match for the Croats, who swept into the village supported by mortars and heavy artillery.
“When all the evidence is gathered, you will find there has been a terrible massacre of Muslims by Croats in Stupni Do,” said Hasim Spahic, deputy commander of the Bosnian Army in Drabavine.
source: The New York Times