Genocide in Bosnia

Bosnian Genocide, 1992-1995

14364 killed and 57000 missing in the first 6 months of the Bosnian Genocide

New Straits Times
2 October 1992.

SARAJEVO, Thurs. (Reuters) — Bosnia published figures today showing that six months of war produced a “massacre of the innocents” far worse than suspected.

Ten thousand children were listed as dead or missing by the Medical Crisis Centre which compiles statistics from across the former Yugoslav republic where Bosnian Serbs are fighting against Muslim [Bosniak] and Croat-led independence.

The figures showed a steep rise since last month to 14,364 killed and 57,000 missing, of whom many are also believed dead.

Of these, 1447 children are known to have died and 8500 are missing.

Professor Arif Smijkic, the centre’s director, acknowledged to Reuters recently that the figures, compiled mainly from Bosniak and Croat-held areas, are far from complete, and that the true totals for the war, including Serb casualties, are far higher.

In Sarajevo alone, a city under siege for the past five months, 730 children had disappeared without trace, the centre’s report said.

Reflecting the savagery of the fighting, 47284 people had been seriously wounded, including 12080 children, and 78500 slightly injured, 11775 of them children.

Some 80 per cent of all the victims were civilians, many of them refugees, people caught in the bombardment of the cities or those killed during the well-documented “ethnic cleansing” of villages across Bosnia.

In the capital, conditions for the 380000 trapped inhabitants were steadily worsening. Most of the city has been without running water for seven or eight days and without electricity for up to 11 days.

Central areas were quiet today, encouraging residents to risk going out with pans and containers to the few water trucks touring the streets or making the trek to wells or districts where standpipes were still operating.

Residents reacted to the news with mixed anger and defiance.

“I don’t care for humanitarian relief: we need weapons to destroy (the Serb forces),” said Slavko Trninic.

“The West has betrayed us,” said student Sanja Celedic. “They only give us aid to salve their own conscience anyway.”

Bosnian radio reported heavy artillery fire at a number of centres across the republic. It said Maglaj in the northwest had been under fire for the past 24 hours, wounding at least 15 people. As in other towns in the area, local authorities had appealed for food and medical supplies, ti said.

Artillery shells were hitting Olovo, 40km north of Sarajevo, said the radio, and the residential area of Tesanj, further to the north had been destroyed.

An attack around Brcko had been repulsed, and at Gradacac more than 1000 shells had hit the southern part of the town in the past 24 hours.

The Serb side had no new reports on the fighting, but the Bosnian Serb news agency SRNA reported a concentration of Muslim forces in central Bosnia near Tuzla and said a strong new offensive was expected.

In the north, over 1500 prisoners of war were due to be freed later today from the Serb-run Trnopolje concentration camp.

Written by genocideinbosnia

December 6, 2010 at 5:24 am

%d bloggers like this: