Posts Tagged ‘Sarajevo massacre’
Ahatovići massacre refers to a massacre committed by the Serbs of at least 47 Bosniaks (Bosnian Muslims) from the village of Ahatovići, in the municipality of Novi Grad, Sarajevo during the Bosnian War. Note: In 1996, about 50 bodies were exhumed. The following is original reporting of the massacre:
Bosniak Survivors Recount Brutality and Mass Slayings
John F. Burns
June 21, 1992
SARAJEVO, — Toward dusk last Sunday, a bus carrying 56 Muslim Slav [Bosniak] villagers being held hostage by Serbian nationalist troops was halted on a mountainous country road about 10 miles north of Sarajevo.
The hostages, men between 17 and 63 years old, were told that the bus’s radiator had boiled over and that they should lie face-down on the floor while water was fetched from a stream.
According to survivors, the Serbian gunmen then got off the bus, walked 30 yards up a stony hillside and opened fire on the vehicle with a bazooka and automatic weapons. Read the rest of this entry »
The Milwaukee Journal
8 February 1994.
“All those who are depriving us of this natural right to self-defense will be considered accomplices in this crime.” – Bosnian President Alija Izetbegovic
The United States and its NATO allies essentially have completed their military planning for air strikes over Bosnia, but the Pentagon remains leery of such a move because of the serious risks involved, US officials say.
Defense Secretary William Perry, while acknowledging that air strikes were “among the options” being considered by the allies, said Monday, “we’re trying to … minimize the problems and the limitations.”
The Pentagon, acting on a request from the White House, drew up a full-fledged mission plan in August, defense analysts said. It includes a list of aircraft and crews that would be needed and a wide choice of targets, depending on the military objectives. Read the rest of this entry »
The Spokesman Review
29 August 1995.
U.S. blames Bosnian Serbs and urges NATO, U.N. military action
By Roger Cohen
Two shells slammed into the central Sarajevo market area today, killing at least 37 people and wounding 80 in the most devastating single attack on the Bosnian capital since a similar one 18 months ago led NATO to vow that the city would be protected.
Limbs and flesh were splattered on storefronts, and bodies fell to pieces as they were lifted into cars. After 40 months of Serbian siege and bombardment, the scene was familiar, but the horrified frenzy among an exhausted population was still intense.
The United States blamed the Bosnian Serbs for the attack, and United Nations officials in Sarajevo suggested that the 120-millimeter mortar that had caused most of the damage had been fired from Serbian positions south of the capital. Read the rest of this entry »
66 Killed in Markale Massacre, Hundreds Injured
By Tony Smith
The Associated Press
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina – Bodies and severed limbs lay amid bloodstained market stalls after a mortar shell landed in a crowd of Saturday shoppers, butchering at least 66 people and wounding more than 200.
The bloodiest single attack on Sarajevo’s civilians since the war began 22 months ago came just after noon, as people filled the Markale market to scavenge for basic necessities.
“There are trucks of dead. There are legs, arms, heads, as many as you want,” said a wounded young man waiting for care at Kosevo Hospital. Read the rest of this entry »